Urgent Care

Need Help Right Away? Call our office and Check this Information

Quick Reference Guide for Parents

If your child has….

A lump or swelling above a tooth. Call the office number. Dental infections often present with swelling and redness around the infected tooth. If pain is associated with this, your child can have Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Then call us. We will evaluate the situation over the phone or in the office.

Been hit in the mouth or a primary tooth, but no crack or movement is present. Use cold compresses on the area for twenty minutes then as needed. You can give a pediatric dose of Tylenol or ibuprofen.  Child can eat a soft diet the next day or two as needed. Call the office to evaluate this condition.

Any type of facial laceration or cut should be evaluated at an urgent care or local emergency facility. Call our office for advice if further information is necessary.

A tooth bumped and is displaced, or moved out of position. Give the child cold compress.  The child can have Tylenol or ibuprofen as needed for pain and then call us to have this cared for right away.

A cracked or fractured primary tooth. Follow the guidelines for the displaced tooth. Child should have cold compresses if needed, and Tylenol or ibuprofen for pain. Consider a soft diet for the child until the tooth is repaired. This condition can be treated in our office the next day.

One or more PERMANENT teeth are completely out of the socket or avulsed. Place the tooth in milk, water, or saliva to keep the tooth hydrated. Call immediately to have the tooth re-implanted ASAP. **Time is important for treatment success.** Your child can take Tylenol or Ibuprofen for pain if needed.

Primary tooth is completely out of the socket or avulsed. Primary teeth cannot be re-implanted without risk of permanent damage to the permanent teeth. Child can take over the counter Tylenol or ibuprofen. And apply cold compresses. Do, howeve,r call the office to have the trauma area evaluated.

Bumped or hit a permanent tooth, but there is no fracture or displacement. Child can take Tylenol or ibuprofen for pain as needed. Eat a soft diet that day and use a cold compress on the area for twenty minutes or so. Call to have the area looked at by the doctor the next day.

A permanent tooth is displaced. Follow all the instructions above. BUT call our office right away. The tooth needs immediate treatment in our office if it has moved out of position or appears loose.

Cracked or fractured a permanent tooth. If something is available, place fractured piece in milk, water or saliva. Give your child Tylenol or ibuprofen for pain if necessary. Then call us to have the trauma evaluated. Some fractures need immediate care. Other types of fractures can wait until the next day.

Parent Resources

Contact Our Office